It’s important to note that, in the TPT strategy, a dedicated Item table maintains the primary key, which we can then use as a single foreign key constraint in other tables. This is different in the TPC strategy, where each table has its own primary key. An ORM (Object-Relational Mapper) is used to interact with a database using an object-oriented programming language. ORMs allow developers to work with databases using familiar, object-oriented concepts, rather than writing raw SQL statements. Entity Framework Core has trade-offs of performance overhead and increased memory usage compared to more tedious approaches like ADO.NET.
The ORM Framework sits between our application code and the Database. It eliminates the need for most custom data-access codes we usually write without an ORM. Entity Framework Core is the new version of Entity Framework after EF 6.x. It is open-source, advantages of entity framework lightweight, extensible and a cross-platform version of Entity Framework data access technology. Choose the provider package for the database that we want to access. In this case, select Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServer for MS SQL Server.
Alternate keys are unique constraints that allow us to enforce uniqueness on a set of columns other than the primary key. Two separate tables, ElectronicItems and ClothingItems, will be created without including the __EFMigrationsHistory table. A refresh of https://deveducation.com/ version 4.1, named Entity Framework 4.1 Update 1, was released on July 25, 2011. Entity Framework Core (EF Core) is an ORM (Object-Relational Mapping) framework for the .NET platform. One of the key features of EF Core is its support for strong typing.
Most of the time, we have to start with the Entity() method to configure the Entity using Fluent API, and here, we need to provide the Entity name for which we want to provide configuration. Then, we used the ToTable() method to map the Student entity to the StudentInfo table and the Standard entity to the StandardInfo table. Here, the StandardInfo table will be created with the Admin schema because we have specified the Admin schema for the StandardInfo table. Studentinfo table will be created with the default schema as we have not specified schema, and in this case, the default schema will be dbo. So, modify the context class to give a table name different than the DbSet properties name.
EF Core Version History
That said, if you take your time and learn correctly how to use EF it will probably be of good use later. It is not a requirement in EF Core that the DbContext is created by injection. If it is created by injection, it must be configured with the appropriate DbContextOptions.
- We implement the Configure() method from the IEntityTypeConfiguration generic interface to set up the entity’s settings or configuration.
- The ORM Framework sits between our application code and the Database.
- In this article, we will discuss the recently added Table Per Concrete Type (TPC) inheritance mapping strategy in EF Core 7.
- The term ORM stands for Object-Relational Mapper, and it automatically creates classes based on database tables and vice versa is also true.
- It was released along with .NET Core and is an Extensible, Lightweight, Open Source, and Cross-Platform Version of Entity Framework data access technology.
- We used to open a connection to the database, create a DataSet to fetch or submit the data to the database, convert data from the DataSet to .NET objects or vice-versa to apply business rules.
The version 4.3.1 was released on February 29, 2012. There were a few updates, like support for migration. Entityframework Core is one Orm that you can use on .net core framework. The .net core is the framework, you can do many things on a framework like develop a web site or another application.